Charles Stanley & Co. Limited can trace its origins in direct line back to the ferment of the Industrial Revolution.
Mechanisation advanced across the landscape, and great new cities were springing up in the shadows of the smoke-stacks. The Walker brothers, Samuel, Joshua and Joseph, had acquired the process of refining steel as early as 1748. By the 1780s the revolution was at full momentum. And against this grimy background cultural life was advancing in parallel. One of the features of the age was the literary club. No self-respecting new metropolis was complete without its regular meetings of leading gentlemen to discuss philosophy, literature and the advance of science.
Sheffield, one of the greatest of the new industrial centres, brought its leading citizens together at The Monthly Club. Our story concerns five of its members: the three Walker brothers, Methodists, and the greatest ironmaster in the north; Vincent Eyre, a Catholic, Agent of the Duke of Norfolk, the principal landowner in the area; and William Stanley, an Anglican, a local businessman described as a "gentleman well-known and much respected at Rotherham". For some ten years they met regularly at The Monthly Club; in the spirit of the new age their religious differences proved no bar to their friendship and collaboration. The Walkers had a long history of industrial ventures and commercial enterprise.
Vincent Eyre was Town Collector of Sheffield from 1790 to 1793 and was responsible for laying out much of the present-day residential and commercial districts. Less is known of William Stanley, but records suggest a number of previous ventures with the Walkers.
The explosive growth of industry demanded increasing quantities of capital to feed it. Initially the revolution had been financed from landed wealth; now it needed to recycle the profits it generated. New institutions were called for, and Roebuck's, the first bank in Sheffield, was established in 1770. A spate of new banks followed, Broadbents in the same year, Shores in 1774, Haslehursts in 1783. All these early attempts eventually failed. More solid backing was required if a bank were to succeed. And thus it was that the five wealthy members of The Monthly Club decided to go into partnership as bankers. Premises were chosen, at No 1 Fargate, near Norfolk Row. A partnership deed was drawn up, capital was subscribed, and on 2nd January 1792 Walkers, Eyre and Stanley Bank opened its doors for business.
Charles Stanley & Co. Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and is a member of the London Stock Exchange, the London
International Financial Futures and Options Exchange and the International Capital Market Association. Investors should be aware that past
performance is not necessarily a guide to the future and that the price of shares and other investments, and the income derived from them, may fall as
well as rise and the amount realised may be less than the original sum invested.
Investors should be aware that past performance is not necessarily a guide to the future and that the price of shares and other investments, and the income derived from them, may fall as well as rise and the amount realised may be less than the original sum invested.